Saturday, January 16, 2010

Once again, Shabbat Shalom and Aloha!

So, I apologize for the great gap between updates. You've all been very patient. Speaking of which, is anyone actually reading this? Raise your hands....come on, raise 'em up........okay, now put them on the keyboard.......and leave a comment - just your name, if that's all you wanna say.

Now that that's out of the way....this week we spent in the classroom.....long hours....but the classes are great. We are taught Ancient Near East History by a BYU professor who talks 5,000 miles and hour and admits that he's grumpy. We take Modern Near East classes, one on Judaism, Israelis and the Zionist movement and the other on Islam and Palestineans. The first is taught by a Jewish man from New England, who is just a hoot - great sense of humor, very comfortable in front of a crowd, funny little bald man with a kippah, always with a kippah (or yamulka for you yiddish-speakers). The Islam class is taught by a Catholic Arab. Very nice man - kinda looks like a Palenstinean Thomas S. Monson. My Hebrew class is taught by a great Jewish lady who emigrated from Sacramento years ago with her family. I know how to write "Bob" in Hebrew. Old Testament class continues to be charming. We meet every day. We are studying Old Testament for the first half of the semester, follwed by New Testament, but unlike most BYU religion classes, we are going through the whole books in one semester - usually you take one half at a time - so we're covering about 4 times as much in the same amount of time. Phew! We blasted straight throw Genesis and already to the 10 Commandments (Exodus 20). Our professor prides himself on having gotten married at 40, just like Isaac.

Last night (Friday) we went to the Western Wall to welcome in the Sabbath with the Jewish world...at least the ones in Jerusalem. Great experience - all of us dressed in Sunday best, the guys replacing their ties with a kippah. The areas for men and women are separated at the Wall. So you slowly make your way up to the Wall, and wait your turn to get close enough to tough it. As you do you notice thousands and thousands of wads of paper stuck into the holes and cracks of the wall, upon which are written prayers. But keep in mind that you better write them before the Sabbath, because once the sun sets on Friday evening, there is no writing, no recording, no photography at the Wall......and there are police to make sure this is observed. So write up close to the Wall is very reverent and solemn - it's a beautiful thing to think of all the prayers that have been or will be offered by the women, daughters of Sarah, Rebekah and Rachel (and others) at this Wall. The men's side is much more boisterous with groups of Israeli soldiers, students of the Torah and many sects of Orthodox Jews venerating is many ways. Lots of dancing and singing. We actually joined a group on the women's side who were dancing and singing all the great songs of Shabbat. I only know one. But it was incredibly fun. We rounded out the evening by watching The Prince of Egypt.....oh, man, did I mention we're going to Egypt this week!!!!????!!!!

As for our Shabbat......Saturday morning began with normal church business. I've been called as the 2nd Counselor in the Relief Society Presidency - the others are a local woman (she lives in Bethlehem, so she must be Palestinean), and two Americans, one whose husband works for the government and the other whose husband is the district President. Did I mentiont that we are part of the Jerusalem Branch of the Israel District of the Church? Pretty neat. Anyway, I got to speak in Sacrament Meeting, on top of that. So, I woke up feeling about 5 years old and very inadequate today, but the Lord doesn't set you up to fail. He helped me. After Church we went to the Garden Tomb as the whole group. It's right in the middle of the hurry and noise of the city, just outside the walls of the Old City, and one of the most peaceful places in all of the Holy Land. Our tour was guided by a lovely man from England - reminded me a lot of a ever-so-slightly younger Gerald Mullet - who was just here volunteering (like a missionary!!) and he was very enthusiastic and kind. The garden is sprawling and lush and full of winding paths and beautiful places to sit. After we looked around and went in the tomb (!!), we sat and sang hymns together and then took some quiet time alone. This is probably the most peaceful I've felt in any of the places we've visited. Apart from the Kidron Valley, which will always be an untouchable favorite, it's my favorite place we've been to. There is a very special Spirit though and although no one can really say for sure whether or not is was the very tomb where Jesus laid, you can tell it's a very special place shared by so many millions of Christians throughout the world. And I got to go! I'm really lucky!

I'm headed off to a fireside about the making of the Jerusalem Center.......Enjoy your Sabbath!! And the other free day of your weekend, whatever it may be!

9 comments:

  1. I admit it. I don't really read through them. I just skim over it and try to get a basic idea of what's going on and read more if it catches my attention.

    I have subscribed to your blog and every morning, after scripture study, I check my email. Once I get to the bottom of my email, I jump over to Reader to read my web feed subscriptions. And hence, here I am reading/skimming your newest post and writing a comment.

    I've seen on tv people praying at the wall and stuffing their prayers in the cracks. It is quite a solemn phenomenon. What I describe as organic or free-form worship. Reminds me of my days at New Hope Community Church in the prayer garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MEEEEEE!!!! I'm reading your posts! I'm eating them up! I loved the pictures, and I appreciate your descriptions of things, since I've never seen what you're seeing. I'm glad you're having such an amazing time! Please keep writing, because you know Mom is checking this blog several times a day, and I check it at least once. :) Have you eaten anything cool yet? Will you be there for the passover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will probably write about food in my next post and yes, we will be here for Passover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I check everyday, sometimes more than once if I don't see a post the first time. I commented a few posts back after talking to Kelly, but it never showed up. Did you get it? Anyway, thanks for the blog, the vicarious living, and all that great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also reading and enjoying tremendously. Thank you for the detail and the emotion put into the writting. I look forward to each post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See? Guilt works. I'm now in here with an account and everything. :D You keep revolutionizing my world by making become computer literate. Pest. Lovely pest that I love.

    **smooch!!!**

    lia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it and love it. I spent a couple of weeks in Egypt and Isreal in 1995 and can still hear the sounds, smell the air, taste the food and see the beauty....all in my mind of course, but it seems so real. Glad you are having this experience

    ReplyDelete