Sunday, January 24, 2010

Borin' ol' Egypt

Marhaba. This will all sound very sarcastic, but Adam asked me to tell him about all the boring things I'm doing and seeing in Egypt, so you're getting my response...because I'm really short of time online, so .......

Well, hello. Today I rode a camel named William Shakespeare. It was really boring. We climbed in a bunch of really boring tombs in the Valley of the Kings, which I think they should rename the Valley of the Snores, because I was so bored by the well-preserved boring colors that were painted on the boringly carved walls thousands of years ago. We also saw the boring, shrivelled, mummy body of King Tut Ankh Ahmen. The only interesting thing about all those Rameses' tombs (why did they all have the same name anyway?), is that one of them almost collided with the shaft of the tomb of Amen Messe - glance at that name really quick and then look away reall fast....do it......humor me......okay, please!!!........is that vaguely familiar to you? I saw the boring cave where the scrolls and mummies that Joseph Smith purchased and from which he translated the Book of Abraham - I actually took a little nap there.....I'm not kidding - I did. We also took boring pictures at the Mortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, who locked her step-son, the rightful king Tut Moses III, in the palace while she assumed the throne herself in the guise of a man. There was also something about the Nile and a sailboat, but the details escaped me...clearly not memorable enough......

THIS STINKS!!! No more lies. I'm amazed at what we're seeing and experiencing. I think the only thing I'm struggling with is how much they're trying to jampack into our schedule and how many times we get on and off the tour bus every hour. We drove to Eilat (still in Israel) and spent the first night in a kibbutz, after having seen tons of historical sites I didn't even know existed. The next day we crossed the border into Egypt and drove across the Sinai Wilderness. Actually that was kinda boring. We ended up in Cairo and saw the pyramids in the skyline of the city as the sun was setting. That night we went to the Sound and Light show, which I admit was kinda boring - just think Disneyland in the early early days. These are The Great Pyramids at Giza, where the Sphinx hangs out. THe next morning we went deep inside one of them and all 80+ of us sang in the tomb. So cool. I learned how papyrus is made. I think I'll pick that up too - doesn't look too hard. We jump on a plane and flew to Luxor, where we're staying in the nicest hotel I've ever been in, eating spectacular food and generally living it up on the bank of the Nile.

Sidenote: Some Egyptians look like Samoans very vaguely........don't know how that happens....

4 comments:

  1. You're so funny! Makes me want to write a boring Christmas letter next year. Everything sounds so amazing! Makes me want video footage of everything (except maybe the borin' stuff.) Did you feel like the Chipmonks and Chipettes there in Cairo? Think they'd let you fly over in a hot air balloon? Hope you have a spectacular time there on the banks of the Nile. Seems like you should dye your hair black and overdo the eye makeup. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name that was vaguely familiar? Was it Adam Meese? Because that's what I actually read, and then had to go back and look at it again to see that it wasn't... Boring old camels. I'm not jealous AT ALL.

    ALL ALL ALL!!!

    Funny about Egypt's version of Disney Land being more boring than Disney Land's version of Egypt...

    Glad you're alive and well and not getting spit upon by your camel.
    love,
    lia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison,

    SO much fun to read about all that you are doing, seeing, and experiencing. Thanks for sharing!

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad to hear it STINKS!!! maybe you should have thought about the consequences before riding that darn camel. I remember once, backpacking the Ecuadorian alps, after skin diving with sharks and dolphins off Copacabana Beach, and chilling with howler monkeys in the amazon, we lassoed some stray llamas and rode them 20 miles straight up to machu Picchu. I've had fleas ever since.

    Great grandson x16 of Amen messe
    Ana Behibek

    ReplyDelete