Monday, January 11, 2010

I've taken 437 pictures in 5 days.......

Greetings! So, today was special, not just because I got to live in Jerusalem, and not just because I miraculously found a couple people to run with me OUTSIDE(!!!!), but because we took our first fieldtrip, and I kid you not, I took a zillion pictures.........but I haven't wandered over to Hebrew University yet to take advantage of their better internet connection and upload photos and videos - I understand how boring this must be without pictures, but I promise that you'll get them someday soon.

Quick version, since I am due to be at Family Home Evening in 15 minutes and I left all my notes in my room. Basically the jist of our trip was to look at Jerusalem from several different vantage points around it: Nabi Samwil, the Haas Promenade, Augusta Victory Tower, Elias Monastery and the Seven Arches Hotel lookout. Wow!!! I've learned so much about the geography of the area. You can see it on a map, so I'm not gonna try to explain it, but I just want you to know that I have seen the drop-off that is the Jordan valley and I have glimpsed the Judean Wilderness, and I've seen Bethlehem, and the Kidron, Tyropean and Hinnon Valleys, and they're all really there. AND(!!!)......I live on the windward side of the Mount of Olives. Yay, windward!! What has surprised me most about this geography is how there are no flat areas. The hills are steep and very significant. The valleys are deep and not very wide. It's all smashed into such a small area that the land formations are small by Pacific Northwest and Hawaiian standarsd, but they're incredibly monumentous at the same time.

I spent quite a bit of time in Genesis today. If you want a good sibling rivalry drama, just read about Rachel and Leah and their bout about Jacob. Oi.

Pictures soon........

No comments:

Post a Comment