Sunday, March 14, 2010

Fill your canteens...

Bahhh! This has to be quick - a short ditty to tied you over until I get back from the Galilee....8D.

We were favored with TWO field trips this week. The first was Bethlehem, which you read all about in my last blog.....you did read it, didn't you? Anyway, the second was a great day of adventure at Neot Kedumim, a sorta man-made Bible Lands natural preserve. Thousands of acres of natural and old-looking stuff! We were educated quite a bit about land, climate, and daily life in the days of the Old and New Testament. We pulled water up out of a 2000 year old cistern, herded sheep and goats, visited the threshing floor about which was growing wheat and barley, made pita and popcorn wheat over the fire, watched a master writing calligraphy on a Torah scroll, ran in the giant hamster wheel that powers the water wheel that fetches water from the pond. It was like Outdoor School. Really hot out. Hydration cures all what ails ya! This was my favorite field trip thus far. Hands-on!

Shamrells will be proud of me. On Sabbath (oh, by the way, in case anyone doesn't know this, we actually observe the Sabbath on Saturday, which is basically in accord with most of the country. Interesting place, this - three major religions, three different holy days),...anyway, on Sabbath, there was a group of Italian LDS tourists visiting our church meetings. I wasn't able to talk to them during the meetings, but afterward I asked their tour guide to ask the group if anyone knew Sciammarelli from Calabria. No one did, but a very nice lady came and talked to me. She had just moved from Milan to Calabria, so we exchanged information, so maybe she'll be able to help me track down any relatives we may still have in the area. Cool!

Today, I took a trip to the sea with several classmates. Tel Aviv! All I really wanted to do there was go to the beach. I was so determined to enjoy it the way I would in Hawaii, that I ran out into the water (that's probably about the same temperature as the Columbia River - not warm!) and swam out to one of the jettis that protect the bay for swimmers. The Mediterranean has woefully wimpy waves. But no matter. It was beautiful. So, in and out of the water, burying people in sand and making them into mer-people here and there and the occasional llama or centaur. I wish I had time to post pictures before leaving, but you'll see that and more in about two weeks. So, hang tight and enjoy your fortnight.

1 comment:

  1. And for some reason, I hear singing.... "One little girl heard the lonely goatherd...."

    But I don't suppose they yodel much in Israel...

    :D

    ReplyDelete